Thursday, February 4, 2010

I Hope She's Right

I waited for my name to be called at the Vital Statistics Office. My eyes are closed, I was deep in thought whether I parked at the right area, at the right time just to save a few dollars and risked getting towed, wishing I had just paid $10 and not worry about a thing. When I opened my eyes, I saw an old lady who looks to be in her seventies. Her brown and wrinkly skin paired with her tired eyes tells me that she has lived quite a hard life. She has a grocery plastic bag with at least four prescription medicine bottles inside. She looked determined. I closed my eyes again and tried to kick myself mentally about my parking decision.

The conversation in my head was disrupted by, "Excuse me, can you help me?" I looked up and was surprised to see the old lady. She had an accent but her English was very good. She proceeded to tell me that she needs to get a birth ceritificate for her godfather but she can't write. She gave me the information and her I.D. She was very grateful for my help and thanked me over and over.

Just before I left, I wished her luck because she didn't have all the information for the form. She got up from her chair and shook my hand firmly and gave me a hug. The kind of hug you would give to a relative or a close friend. She thanked me again and said that my good deed will come back to me. I hope she's right. I found my car still parked where I left it. Not a bad start.

No comments:

Post a Comment